Sunday, August 03, 2008

Imp Update - Cut and Grind


Time to cut some of the useless tabs off the bike. The 7" grinder was the main tool for this job. I used the cut off wheel and my drill to cut the passenger peg frame sections off, but cleaned up the frame with the grinder. Later on I got out the sawzall to remove some other brackets and tabs.


Here's whats left of the lower backbone tubes. I cut these closer to the downtubes using the cut off wheel, then cleaned it up with the grinder.


Here is that same part after the cut off wheel. I got a little overzealous and caught the gusset.


Here are the frame section for the passenger pegs. The right side peg mounts on the little tube in the lower left corner of this photo. Since I don't plan on having any passengers on this bike, I don't need this part of the frame. All excess weight has to go.


Here's what's left of the passenger peg frame section after using the sawzall.


Here's the same area on the other side of the bike after grinding. Looking better!


These are what's left of the seat hinges. I cut most of them off with the sawzall a couple of years ago. Now it's time to clean the rest of it up. There are also remenants of the latch tabs on the left side.

Here's what the frame looks like after the grinding.


This is the front part of the seat area of the frame. Looks ugly, IMHO. Time to smooth it out some.

I cut the corner at an angle to streamline the look and maybe not cut my leg. :-)
I think I ended up cutting too much away. I'm going to have to weld a support plate on this to keep the frame strong.


A couple of days later, a friend came over and helped me re-install the motor. It was much easier getting in than out with the lower backbone tubes gone. Still, it was a PITA getting all the mounting holes lined up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home