Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Imp's Ready for a Shake Down Run

Tonight I think we figured out the charging woes.  Turns out the diagram I had for the Kawasaki 800 rectifier was wrong.  JP found a diagram on the web and I realized that every wire, other than the three to the stator, was incorrectly connected.  Ground to switched on power, switched power to ground, fused 12V to switched power.  AFU.  Anyway, got everything connected like it should, started her up, and she was putting 14V + to the battery when revved up.  Still have an issue with the #1 cylinder not firing all the time.  I still think it's gas and that the float isn't set right.  When the bike's level she seems to pick up on idle.  But, since #1 is on the kick stand side of the bike, that carb should be getting enough gas on the side stand.  It has spark and compression, so it's got to be a fuel thing.  Might have to run some sea-foam through it.  The #4 was backfiring some until I adjusted the air fuel mix screw. 

Anyway, Thursday I want to take the girl out for a shakedown run along 119th Street by JP's place.  See if everything holds together.  If it does, then we'll relocate it up to my place in Edmond - probably via surface streets.  Not sure I'm trusting it enough for the freeway, yet.

Much thanks goes to JP Williams - http://www.tearitupfixitrepeat.blogspot.com - for the help and garage space over the last year.  When this thing arrived, it wasn't much more than a rolling basket case.  It ain't pretty, but she was never meant to be pretty.

Enjoy the photos.

Improvised center stand.  The stock stand was hitting the chain, so it had to come off.  JP's bike lift is too wide for this little frame, so jack stands were called in to do the job.

Blurry photo, but the best of the bunch.  This shows the jack stand in position under the frame.  Note the curved face helps hold the frame in place.  BTW, when working on the left side of the bike, like re-routing the fuel line or rewiring the rectifier, I'd prop one of these under the timing points cover on the right side of the bike.  Instant right side kickstand! 

Fuel line routed.  The line curved under the front of the seat mounting area to a T fitting, where the line splits in two for each pair of carbs.  Note the carb sync hoses attached to the carbs.  The blue towel is to help spot if the carbs overflow or leak.  So far, knock on wood, they aren't.

A floor jack comes in handy as a carb-sync tool holder.  Can't lay it down or the mercury would flow out.  Thanks to Eddie at House of Kawasaki for letting me borrow this tool.

























Never thought it would take me six years to get to this point.  A lot easier in my head than it actually was!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home