Cleaned Up
Notice the Delorto carb with the correct intake box. Filter isn't stock - try finding one of those in central Iowa.
Gotta love the header pipe.
There's a couple of dings from 40 years of use. Here's a front rim ding.
Here's the rear rim.
Gilera made the Interstate as a catalog bike for Sears. You could also get a 125cc version, which is pretty much the same bike, same engine with a bigger cylinder.
Check out these wheel spacers on the axle. You turn this spacer to put tension on the chain. This is a pretty cool idea, why don't they use this method anymore?
Yep, 425 actual miles. It was about 360 when I got the bike, but I rode it to work one day.
This bike was bought new in 1968 by a guy who worked at Armour's meat packing plant and rode it to work. When he retired, his grandkids put it thought hell for a few years. It ended up getting a stupid bad flamed paint job. The bike ended up sitting in a barn for about 15 years. When the owner died, it was put on auction with all of his household items. Dad bought it for about $100. He had it repainted T-bird red, what was in the paint gun when Dad brought it in. It's pretty close to the stock red color, but the fenders are supposed to be silver. Someday, I'll repaint the fenders.
It does run ok, but needs some carb work. This fall I'll drop it off at a better mechanic friend of mine to clean and set the carb. I need to also replace the cables on it as they're really sloppy. The clutch cable has stretched to the point where it won't release the clutch.

1 Comments:
I enjoyed the pictures of the old Sears. Looks like you did a nice job cleaning her up. I like the idea for applying tension to the chain, as well. Seems like good ideas don't ever last.
Post a Comment
<< Home